Earlier this month we welcomed a few special guests to our virtual Pride celebration. For the second year in a row SpeakOUT Boston joined the Energetiq team to share insights and advice on how we can all be better allies to the LGBTQIA community.
Specific Actions to Show Your Allyship
We know that being an ally is incredibly important and are committed to making sure that everyone at Energetiq feels comfortable and confident to bring their full selves to work. Our discussion with SpeakOUT uncovered a few ways that we can be great allies as a company and as individuals.
- Consider showing support year-round by wearing a pin or displaying a flag at your desk.
- Add preferred pronouns to email signatures or social media profiles so that others are more comfortable sharing theirs.
- Try staying informed on current events by signing up for a mailing list for an LGBTQ organization.
- Encourage your company to partner with organizations that work in that space on a local level and identify resources for your industry.
- Create and participate in Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) focused on supporting the LGBTQ community.
- Consider the physical space of the work environment and when possible designate gender-neutral restrooms.
- Acknowledge and apologize when you make a mistake such as using the wrong pronoun for someone without dwelling on it.
The Impact of an Ally
Even one instance of someone being a supportive ally can make an immeasurable difference in someone’s day and that feeling might stay with someone for the rest of their life.
Do you want to join our amazing team?
View our careers page to see if we have the right role for you.